Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Schwarzenegger says he fathered a child with household staffer


Los Angeles, May 17 (PTI) Former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has admitted to fathering a child a decade ago with a member of his household staff, causing his wife of 25 years, Maria Shriver, to leave him.
The 63-year-old action star''s confession lead to Shriver, 55, moving out of their Brenton mansion. The staff member worked for the family for 20 years and retired in January, reported Los Angeles Times.
"After leaving the governor''s office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago," said Schwarzenegger on Monday in a statement.
"I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry.
"I ask that the media respect my wife and children through this extremely difficult time. While I deserve your attention and criticism, my family does not," he added.
To protect their privacy, the name of the former staff member and her child has not been revealed. In an interview prior to Schwarzenegger''s statement, the staffer had said that her then-husband was the child''s father.
She said she voluntarily left her position with the couple earlier this year after reaching a longstanding goal of working for them for two decades. "I wanted to achieve my 20 years, then I asked to retire," she said, adding she received a severance payment and "left on good terms with them."
Later Monday, the woman was informed of the Schwarzenegger''s statement but she declined to comment further.
The ''Terminator'' star took financial responsibility for the child from the beginning and continued to provide support, according to a source who declined to be identified because of the former governor''s request for privacy.
The former first couple of California announced their separation in a joint statement issued last week. There was no mention of a cause for the separation.

No comments:

Post a Comment